"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

How Deep Is the Ocean?

By Irving Berlin
1932

One of the rare Berlin tunes to debut on the radio and not on stage, this song was written at a particularly low point in the composer's personal and professional life, which may account for the bittersweet, melancholy yet hesitantly hopeful melody and lyric. It was introduced by the Paul Whiteman orchestra. I hope you enjoy it today, as our celebration of Berlin's 125th birthday continues...

Lyrics:

How can I tell you what is in my heart?
How can I measure each and every part?
How can I tell you how much I love you?
How can I measure just how much I do?

How much do I love you?
I'll tell you no lie
How deep is the ocean?
How high is the sky?

How many times a day do I think of you?
How many roses are sprinkled with dew?

How far would I travel
To be where you are?
How far is the journey
From here to a star?

And if I ever lost you
How much would I cry?
How deep is the ocean?
How high is the sky?

Recorded By:

Frank Sinatra
Aretha Franklin
Ella Fitzgerald
Dexter Gordon
Eric Clapton




No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station