"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Secret Love

By Sammy Fain & Paul Francis Webster
1953

An Academy Award-winner from the closing years of classic pop era, it was written for and introduced by the lovely Doris Day in her starring role in Calamity Jane. Ms. Day also recorded a commercial version of the song the year after the movie came out. It remains one of the most beautiful tunes to ever snare an Oscar, from an age when winning the award for a song actually meant something.

Lyrics:

Once I had a secret love
That lived within the heart of me.
All too soon my secret love
Became impatient to be free.

So I told a friendly star
The way that dreamers often do.
Just how wonderful you are
And why I'm so in love with you.

Now I shout it from the highest hills.
Even told the golden daffodils.
At last my heart's an open door,
And my secret love's no secret anymore.

Recorded By:

Mandy Moore
Frank Sinatra
Sinead O'Connor
George Michael
Anne Murray

2 comments:

Bob said...

Thanks for this. Many of us tend to forget how ... robust Day could be when she was on the money. I always had a soft spot fot this number!

B-Sol said...

One of the most underrated singers of the 1940s and 1950s, no doubt about it.

Listen to The Jonathan Station