"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Crazy

By Willie Nelson
1961

Arguably the most beloved crossover country hit of them all, this one was composed by a young, unknown singer-songwriter who then went by the name of Hugh Nelson (pictured). After the original artist he pitched it to turned it down, Nelson gave it to the husband of country singer Patsy Cline, who was looking for a follow-up to "I Fall to Pieces". Cline reportedly hated the fast tempo, and slowed it down to ballad form. The result was one of the all-time classic recordings. The song would become a pop and jazz standard as well.

Lyrics:

Crazy, I'm crazy for feeling so lonely.
I'm crazy, crazy for feeling so blue.

I knew you'd love me as long as you wanted,
And then someday you'd leave me for somebody new.

Worry, why do I let myself worry?
Wond'ring what in the world did I do?

Crazy for thinking that my love could hold you.
I'm crazy for trying and crazy for crying,
And I'm crazy for loving you.

Recorded By:

Shirley Bassey
Cassandra Wilson
Norah Jones
Don McLean
Linda Ronstadt

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station