"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Saturday, February 20, 2010

I'm an Errand Boy for Rhythm (Send Me)

By Nat King Cole
1945

Introduced in 1945 by the King Cole trio, this up-tempo jumper was actually penned by Nat King Cole himself. It's typical of the rhythm numbers the trio were known for, which also included "Straighten Up and Fly Right", among many others. It has often been covered by female singers as "I'm an Errand Girl for Rhythm".

Lyrics:

Here's something that I'd like to bring to you--
Wrapped all in cellophane, designed for you.
Tell ya what it's all about
It is, without a doubt
Swingin' the latest style
Service with a smile!

If you want to swing and shout
Get your kicks and get about
I'm an errand boy for rhythm--send me!

Lace your boots and follow thru
I'll deliver straight to you
I'm an errand boy for rhythm--send me!

You can always find me down at Smokey Joe's
That's the place where every gal and gator goes.
If you want variety,
Just step in and call for me
I'm an errand boy for rhythm--send me!

Recorded By:

John Pizzarelli
Diana Krall
Carmen McRae
Carol Sloane
Pamela Joy

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station