"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Thursday, February 4, 2010

I Don't Know Why (I Just Do)

By Fred E. Ahlert & Roy Turk
1931

An extremely versatile standard that has experienced three major periods of popularity and been recorded in many different styles. It was introduced in 1931 by Russ Columbo (pictures), then enjoyed a revival in the '40s thanks to the big bands, and came back again in the early '60s with Linda Scott. Charming and guileless, it has proven suitable for country, blues and rock recordings.

Lyrics:

All day long you're asking me what I see in you
All day long I'm answering but what good does it do?
I have nothing to explain
I just love you, love you, and I'll tell you once again

I don't know why I love you like I do
I don't know why, I just do
I don't know why you thrill me like you do
I don't know why, you just do

You never seem to want my romancing
The only time you hold me is when we're dancing

I don't know why I love you like I do
I don't know why, I just do

Recorded By:

Frank Sinatra
Kate Smith
Hoagy Carmichael
King Cole Trio
The Andrew Sisters

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station