"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Sunday, November 1, 2009

I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance With You

By Victor Young, Ned Washington & Bing Crosby
1932

One of Bing Crosby's signature tunes, introduced and even co-written by Der Bingle. At least 20 major versions of the song would be recorded in the next couple of decades. Although less heard these days, it is a Crosby song that instantly conjures of the time from which it originates.

Lyrics:

I need your love so badly,
I love you oh so madly,
But I don't stand a ghost of a chance with you.

I thought at last I found you,
But other loves surround you,
And I don't stand a ghost of a chance with you.

If you'd surrender,
Just for a tender kiss or two,
You might discover
That I'm the lover meant for you,
And I'd be true.

But what's the good of scheming,
I know I'm only dreaming.
For I don't stand a ghost of a chance with you.

Recorded By:

Frank Sinatra
Billie Holiday
Mel Torme
Stan Getz
Duke Ellington

HAPPY HALLOWEEN from STANDARD OF THE DAY!

2 comments:

emma wallace said...

I do like this one! I love that melodic riff at the "a ghost of a chance" section. And very clever for Halloween! :o) I hope yours was marvelous.

B-Sol said...

My Halloween was terrific, love when it falls on a weekend!

Listen to The Jonathan Station