"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Monday, November 23, 2009

By the Light of the Silvery Moon

By Gus Edwards & Edward Madden
1909

A turn-of-the-century chestnut that instantly evokes that specific pre-World War I era in America. It was one of several "moon" songs that were popular at the time, and would later become a very nostalgic tune during the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. It was the title of a 1953 Doris Day musical, and was even sung by Zero Mostel in The Producers. It was introduced in 1909 by Ada Jones (recording in the video below).

Lyrics:

Place: Park
Scene: Dark
Silv'ry Moon is shining through the trees,
Cast: Two,
Me, you,
Sound of kisses floating on the breeze;
Act one: begun,
Dialogue "Where would ya like to spoon?"
My cue: with you,
Underneath the silv'ry moon.

By the light, of the silvery moon,
I want to spoon,
To my honey I'll croon love's tune.

Honey moon, keep a-shinin' in June.
Your silv'ry beams will bring love's dreams,
We'll be cuddlin' soon, by the silvery moon.

Recorded By:

Doris Day
Gene Vincent
Fats Waller
Julie Andrews
Al Jolson

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station