"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I'm Thru with Love

By Joseph A. Livingston, Matt Malneck & Gus Kahn
1931

An aching composition that epitomizes those all-too-familiar feelings of heartbreak and jilted love. A major hit song of 1931, it was recorded by a vast number of artists that year, including Paul Whiteman's orchestra, Al Bowlly, Don Voorhees' orchestra, Al Lack's City Radiolians, and most notably Bing Crosby. It remains a timeless, poignant classic, made even more popular by Marilyn Monroe's famous rendition in Some Like It Hot.

Lyrics:

I have given you my true love,
But you love a new love.
What am I supposed to do now
With you now, you're through?
You'll be on your merry way
And there's only this to say:

I'm through with love
I'll never fall again.
Said adieu to love
Don't ever call again.
For I must have you or no one
And so I'm through with love.

I've locked my heart
I'll keep my feelings there.
I have stocked my heart
with icy, frigid air.
And I mean to care for no one
Because I'm through with love.

Why did you lead me
to think you could care?
You didn't need me
for you had your share
of slaves around you
to hound you and swear
with deep emotion and devotion to you.

Goodbye to spring and all it meant to me
It can never bring the thing that used to be.
For I must have you or no one
And so I'm through with love.

Recorded By:

Lena Horne
Joe Williams
Jane Monheit
Ella Fitzgerald
Diana Krall

2 comments:

emma wallace said...

Great standard! I love Ms. Monroe's vulnerable (and quite naughtily dressed) version.

B-Sol said...

Who would've thought that Marilyn Monroe and Woody Allen would perform the same song in a movie??

Listen to The Jonathan Station