"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Monday, August 3, 2009

Close to You

By Jerry Livingston, Carl Lampl & Al Hoffman
1943

Introduced by Frank Sinatra during his early tenure at Columbia Records, this song would remain a regular part of the Chairman's repertoire. He would later re-record it as the title track of his excellent 1956 album with the Hollywood String Quartet. Not to be confused with the Burt Bacharach/Hal David song of the same name (which Sinatra also recorded in 1970).

Lyrics:

Close to you, I will always stay.
Close to you, though you're far away.
You'll always be near,
As though you were here by my side.
No matter where,
In my dreams, I'll find you there.

Close to me, sharing your caress.
Can't you see, you're my happiness.
Wherever you go,
My heart will go too--what else can I do?
It only wants to be
Close to you.

Recorded By:

Brenda Lee
The Doors
Sarah Vaughan
Nelson Riddle
Perry Como

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station