"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Full Moon and Empty Arms

By Buddy Kaye & Ted Mossman
1945

This richly beautiful popular song is one of many whose melody was inspired by a movement from Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2. In addition to this tune, introduced by none other than Frank Sinatra during his Columbia period, the concerto also produced "I Think of You" by Don Marcotte & Jack Elliott (1941) and "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen (1975).

Lyrics:

Full moon and empty arms,
The moon is there for us to share,
But where are you?
A night like this could weave a memory,
And every kiss could start a dream for two.

Full moon and empty arms,
Tonight I'll use the magic moon to wish upon.
And next full moon,
If my one wish comes true,
My empty arms will be filled with you.

Recorded By:

Freddie Hubbard
Sarah Vaughan
Eddie Fisher
Nelson Eddy
Maynard Ferguson

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station