"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Friday, May 29, 2009

In the Still of the Night

By Cole Porter
1937

A landmark Porter tune, evocative, poignant, and an excellent representation of his incomparable work. It was original written for the motion picture Rosalie, in which it was sung by none other than Nelson Eddy. Tommy Dorsey made a #3 hit with it that fall, with the first commercial recording of the song. Since then, it has become one of the most often recorded Porter songs.

Lyrics:

In the still of the night,
As I gaze out of my window
At the moon in it's flight,
My thoughts all stray to you.

In the moon's yellow light,
While the world is in slumber,
Ah, the times without number,
Darling, when I say to you:

"Do you love me, as I love you?
Are you my life to be,
My dream come true?
Or will this dream of mine
Fade out of sight?
While the moon's growing dim
On the rim of the hill,
In the chill, still of the night.

Recorded By:

Sammy Davis Jr.
Frank Sinatra
Ella Fitzgerald
Della Reese
Carly Simon

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station