"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Saturday, April 25, 2009

My Blue Heaven

By Walter Donaldson & George Whiting
1927

A huge hit for crooner Gene Austin, who introduced it in 1928 and enjoyed 13 weeks at the top of the charts with it. The recording, in fact, went platinum five times over! And 30 years later, R&B sensation Fats Domino would reintroduce the tune to the rock 'n' roll generation. Domino's version is so closely identified with the song today that many don't even realize it predates him significantly.

Lyrics:

When whippoorwills call, and evenin' is nigh,
I hurry to my blue heaven.
Turn to the right, there's a little bright light,
Will lead you to my blue heaven.

You'll see a smilin' face, a fireplace, a cozy room,
A little nest that nestles where the roses bloom.

Just Molly and me, and the baby makes three.
We're happy in my blue heaven.

Recorded By:

Frank Sinatra
Leon Redbone
The Smashing Pumpkins (below)
Al Jolson
The Ink Spots

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station