"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Thursday, April 23, 2009

All of Me

By Gerald Marks & Seymour Simons
1931

Haven't been able to post much lately, so to make up for it today, I'm bouncing back with a biggie--one of the most recorded standards of all time, in fact. Billie Holiday's iconic version is probably the most well-known, although it was originally recorded by Belle Baker. Usually performed in a swing tempo, the classic tune has endured the ages, being revived in the 1950s by Johnnie Ray, and even getting a punk treatment by NOFX.

Lyrics:

All of me--
Why not take all of me?
Can't you see
I'm no good without you?

Take my lips,
I wanna lose them.
Take these arms,
I'll never use them.

Your goodbye
Left me with eyes that cry.
How can I
Go on, dear, without you?

You took the part
That once was my heart,
So why not
Take all of me?

Recorded By:

Louis Armstrong
Paul Whiteman
Frank Sinatra
Django Reinhardt
Willy Nelson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's one of my all time favorite's song.

emma wallace said...

The first song I learned in jazz! I love it. I had a roommate in summer camp who listened to the song daily.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I didn't know that NOFX did a cover.

Listen to The Jonathan Station