"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

With Plenty of Money and You

By Al Dubin & Harry Warren
1936

This one's a personal favorite of mine, which I discovered on an old LP of hits from the 1930s, belonging to my wife's granfather. The great Dick Powell introduced it in the movie The Gold Diggers of 1937, and it was written for the film by the prolific team of Dubin & Warren. The duo would pen a grand total of 11 number-one hits between 1932 and 1937, with "September in the Rain" hitting the top spot the very same year as this charmer.

Lyrics:

I have never envied folks with money.
Millionaires don't get along so well.
I have you, but haven't any money--
Still, the combination would be swell.

Oh, baby, what I couldn't do
With plenty of money and you.
In spite of the worries that money brings,
Just a little filthy luchre buys a lot of things.

I would take you to places you like to go,
But outside of that, I've no use for dough.
It's the root of all evil, of strife and upheaval,
Yet I'm certain, honey,
That life could be sunny,
With plenty of money and you.

Recorded By:

Tony Bennett & Count Basie
Jessica Molaskey & John Pizzarelli
The Ink Spots
Art Tatum
Dick Hyman

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station