"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Monday, March 23, 2009

Caravan

By Juan Tizol & Irving Mills
1936

Generally considered the first Latin jazz song, this tune was composed by legendary trombonist Tizol for the Duke Ellington band, but it was actually the Barney Bigard orchestra that introduced it prior to Duke making it one of his signature songs. It's exotic flavor made it a favorite of lounge/exotica bandleaders like Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman. Mills' lyrics are rarely heard.

Lyrics:

Night and stars above that shine so bright,
The mystery of their fading light
That shines upon our caravan.

Sleep upon my shoulder as we creep
Across the sand so I may keep
The memory of our caravan.

This is so exciting,
You are so inviting,
Resting in my arms,
As I thrill to the magic charms

Of you beside me here beneath the blue,
My dream of love is coming true,
Within our desert caravan!

Recorded By:

Ella Fitzgerald
Billy Eckstine
Dave Brubeck
Maynard Ferguson
Freddie Hubbard

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station