"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Saturday, January 24, 2009

My Melancholy Baby

By Ernie Burnett & George A. Norton
1912

In one of the most bizarre bits of trivia I've ever come across, it might interest you to know that it was William "Fred Mertz" Frawley who introduced this song at the Mozart Cafe in Denver, Colorado. The sentimental favorite was a major theme in the Cagney pic The Roaring Twenties, in which it was sung by his co-star Priscilla Lane.

Lyrics:

Come sweetheart mine,
Don't sit and pine.
Tell me of the cares that make you feel so blue.
What have I done?
Answer me, hon.
Have I ever said an unkind word to you?
My love is true,
And just for you.
I'd do almost anything at any time.
Dear when you sigh,
Or when you cry,
Something seems to grip this very heart of mine.

So come to me, my melancholy baby,
Cuddle up and don't feel blue.
All your fears are foolish fancy, maybe.
You know, dear, that I'm in love with you.

Every cloud must have a silver lining.
Wait until that sun shines through.
Smile, my honey dear,
While I kiss away each tear,
Or else I shall be melancholy, too.

Recorded By:

Barbra Streisand
Al Bowlly
Coleman Hawkins
Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie & Thelonious Monk
Leon Redbone

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station