"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Sunday, January 18, 2009

My Baby Just Cares for Me

By Walter Donaldson & Gus Kahn
1928

One of three hit tunes from the musical Whoopee, it was introduced by that show's star, Eddie Cantor. Later, however, it would become the signature song of jazz singer Nina Simone, further popularized by its use in a 1987 Chanel No. 5 commercial. It also featured in the 1999 Woody Allen film, Everyone Says I Love You, in which it's sung by Edward Norton.

Lyrics:

My baby don't care for shows,
My baby don't care for clothes,
My baby just cares for me.

My baby don't care for furs and laces,
My baby don't care for high-toned places.

My baby don't care for rings,
Or other expensive things.
She's sensible as can be.

My baby don't care who knows it,
My baby just cares for me!


Recorded By:

Frank Sinatra
Cyndi Lauper
Jack Payne (below)
Nat King Cole
Ted Weems


No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station