"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Sunday, November 23, 2008

You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To

By Cole Porter
1943

This Porter gem was written for the Columbia musical Something to Shout About, in which it was introduced by Don Ameche and Janet Blair (pictured). The first to record it was Dinah Shore, who made a big hit out of it, and it has since become one of Cole Porter's most beloved ballads. A perfect expression of romantic longing.

Lyrics:

It's not that you're fairer
Than a lot of girls just as pleasin'
That I doff my hat
As a worshiper at your shrine.
It's not that you're rarer
Than asparagus out of season--
No, my darling, this is the reason
Why you've got to be mine...

You'd be so nice to come to.
You'd be so nice by the fire.
While the breeze on high sang a lullaby,
You'd be all that I could desire.

Under stars chilled by the winter,
Under an August moon burning above,
You'd be so nice,
You'd be paradise, to come home to and love.

Recorded By:

Frank Sinatra
Ella Fitzgerald
Coleman Hawkins
Mel Torme
Jo Stafford

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station