"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sentimental Journey

By Les Brown, Ben Homer & Bud Green
1944

A big hit toward the end of World War II, this song was first recorded by Brown's orchestra with Doris Day on lead vocal. It soon became Day's first number-one hit, and lasted a total of 23 weeks on the charts. The mellow number has long been a favorite of jazz musicians.

Lyrics:

Gonna take a sentimental journey,
Gonna set my heart at ease.
Gonna make a sentimental journey,
To renew old memories.

Got my bags, got my reservations,
Spent each dime I could afford.
Like a child in wild anticipation,
I long to hear that, "All aboard!"

Seven...that's the time we leave, at seven.
I'll be waitin' up at heaven,
Countin' every mile of railroad track
That takes me back.

Never thought my heart could be so yearny.
Why did I decide to roam?
Gotta take that sentimental journey,
Sentimental journey home.

Recorded By:

Woody Herman
Frank Sinatra
Rosemary Clooney
Esquivel
Julie London

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station