"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Under a Blanket of Blue

By Jerry Livingston, Marty Symes & Al J. Neiburg
1933

Composed by the same songwriting team that was responsible for "The Talk of the Town" the same year, this warm little tune was introduced by Glen Gray and his Casa Loma Orchestra. Livingston (pictured) went on to form his own publishing firm and work in Hollywood, scoring Disney's Cinderella, as well as writing the TV theme for Casper the Friendly Ghost.

Lyrics:

Under a blanket of blue,
Just you and I beneath the stars.
Wrapped in the arms of sweet romance,
The night is ours.

Under a blanket of blue,
Let me be thrilled by all your charms.
Darling, I know my heart will dance
Within your arms.

A summer night's magic,
Enthralling me so.
The night would be tragic,
If you weren't here
To share it, my dear.

Covered with heaven above,
Let's dream a dream of love for two.
Wrapped in the arms of sweet romance,
Under a blanket of blue.


Recorded By:

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong
Patti Page
Frank Sinatra
Coleman Hawkins
Doris Day

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station