"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mr. Wonderful

By Jerry Bock, George David Weiss & Larry Holofcener
1955

The title song of a Broadway musical designed to showcase the many talents of Sammy Davis Jr., the song was introduced by Davis' leading lady Olga James. Also in the show were Davis' father and uncle. An arrangement of this song for choir can be heard be heard during the opening Lake Tahoe scene of The Godfather Part II.

Lyrics:

Why this feeling? Why this glow?
Why the thrill when you say hello?
It's a strange and tender magic you do.
Mr. Wonderful, that's you.

Why this trembling when you speak?
Why this joy when you touch my cheek?
I must tell you what my heart knows is true.
Mr. Wonderful, that's you.

And why this longing to know your charms?
To spend forever here in your arms?

Oh, there's much more I could say,
But the words keep slipping away,
And I'm left with one point of view.
Mr. Wonderful, that's you.

One more thing, then I'm through.
Mr. Wonderful, I love you!


Recorded By:

Keely Smith
Peggy Lee
Bette Midler
The Kinks
Ruby Murray

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

miss barbara cartland also does a version of this. you can hear it on her myspace or on wfmu blog http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/05/365_days_130_ba.html

quite lovely ;)

Listen to The Jonathan Station