"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Lullaby of Birdland

By George Shearing & George David Weiss
1952

An anthem of the post-World War II be-bop era in jazz, this tune was written for the preeminent Times Square jazz club Birdland, named after legendary saxophonist Charlie "Bird" Parker. Shearing himself introduced it as the theme song of a radio show broadcast from there, and Sarah Vaughan was the first to record it with lyrics two years later. Recently, Amy Winehouse included a bit of the melody in her recording of "October Song".

Lyrics:

Lullaby of Birdland, that's what I
Always hear when you sigh.
Never in my woodland
Could there be words to reveal
In a phrase how I feel.

Have you ever heard two turtle doves
Bill and coo when they love?
That's the kind of magic
Music we make with our lips
When we kiss.

And there's a weepy ol' willow,
He really knows how to cry.
That's how I'd cry in my pillow,
If you should tell me farewell and goodbye.

Lullaby of Birdland, whisper low,
Kiss me sweet, and we'll go
Flyin' high in Birdland,
High in the sky up above,
All because we're in love.

Recorded By:

Dexter Gordon
Blossom Dearie (French version)
Count Basie
Bill Haley & His Comets

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station