"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Friday, October 10, 2008

I'm Just a Lucky So-and-So

By Duke Ellington & Mack David
1945

One of many timeless tunes composed by Ellington for his legendary big band. The lyricist, Mack David (pictured) was the older brother of Burt Bacharach lyricist Hal David. He is better known for his Disney work, which includes the Oscar-nominated "Bibiddi Bobbidi Boo". David also put words to the 1961 Shirelles hit "Baby It's You", and did a lot of TV work, including the memorable Looney Tunes TV theme "This Is It".

Lyrics:

As I walk down the street,
Seems everyone I meet
Gives me a friendly hello.
I guess I'm just a lucky so-and-so.

The birds in every tree
Are all so neighborly,
They sing wherever I go.
I guess I'm just a lucky so-and-so.

If you should ask me the amount
In my bank account,
I'd have to confess that I'm slippin'.
But that don't worry me--confidentially,
I've got a dream that's a pippin'.

And when the day is through,
Each night I hurry to
A home where love waits, I know.
I guess I'm just a lucky so-and-so

Recorded By:

Sam Cooke
Ella Fitzgerald
Sarah Vaughan
Diana Krall
Tony Bennett

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station