"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Change Partners

By Irving Berlin
1938

One of the many charming classics written for Fred Astaire by Irving Berlin. This one comes from the lesser-known Astaire-Rogers musical picture Carefree. A timeless tune with a clever, plaintive lyric that has survived adaptation to many styles by many performers.

Lyrics:

Must you dance
Every dance
With the same fortunate man?
You have danced with him since the music began.
Won't you change partners,
And dance with me?

Must you dance
Quite so close,
With your lips touching his face?
Can't you see I'm longing to be in his place?
Won't you change partners,
And dance with me?

Ask him to sit this on out,
And while you're alone,
I'll tell the waiter to tell him
He's wanted on the telephone.

You've been locked
In his arms
Ever since heaven knows when.
Won't you change partners, and then,
You may never want to change partners again.

Recorded By:

Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
Ella Fitzgerald
Harry Connick Jr.
Sammy Davis Jr.

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station