"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Monday, October 20, 2008

Autumn Leaves

By Joseph Kosma & Johnny Mercer
1947

Yet another song of French origin, this one was first written in 1945 with French lyrics by poet Jacques Prevert. Originally titled "Les feuilles mortes" ("The Dead Leaves"), it was composed for the film Les Portes de la Nuit, in which it was introduced by Yves Montand. Nat King Cole sang the American version in the 1956 movie Autumn Leaves. One year prior, a piano version by Roger Williams became the only piano instrumental to become a number-one hit. Ah, different times...

Lyrics:

The falling leaves drift by the window,
The autumn leaves of red and gold.
I see your lips, the summer kisses,
The sun-burned hands I used to hold.

Since you went away the days grow long,
And soon I'll hear old winter's song.
But I miss you most of all, my darling,
When autumn leaves start to fall.

Recorded By:

Frank Sinatra
Ella Fitzgerald
Ferrante & Teicher
Miles Davis

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station