"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Always

By Irving Berlin
1925

The great Irving Berlin composed this timeless love song as a wedding gift to his bride Ellin McKay (he even presented her with all the royalties). It was intended to be included in the 1927 Marx Brothers stage musical The Cocoanuts, but Berlin himself cut it during try-outs. It would reappear 15 years later as the theme music for the Lou Gehrig biopic The Pride of the Yankees.

Lyrics:

Everything went wrong,
And the whole day long,
I'd feel so blue.
For the longest while,
I'd forget to smile,
Then I met you.
Now that my blue days have passed,
Now that I've found you at last...

I'll be loving you,
Always.
With a love that's true,
Always.

When the things you've planned,
Need a helping hand,
I will understand,
Always, always.

Days may not be fair,
Always.
That's when I'll be there,
Always.

Not for just an hour,
Not for just a day,
Not for just a year,
But always.

Recorded By:

Sarah Vaughan & Billy Eckstine
Maude Maggart
Billy Corgan
Leonard Cohen

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station