"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fly Me to the Moon

By Bart Howard
1954

When it was written for cabaret singer Felicia Sanders, it was called "In Other Words". But it came to be known by its opening line, until even the publisher had the name officially changed. Frank Sinatra's 1964 swing version, by far the most famous, was actually played for the Apollo 10 astronauts on their 1969 mission to the moon. Though written as a waltz, Quincy Jones' swing arrangement for Sinatra has become the standard.

Lyrics:

Fly me to the moon
And let me play among the stars,
Let me see what spring is like
On Jupiter and Mars.

In other words, hold my hand.
In other words, darling, kiss me.

Fill my heart with song
And let me sing forevermore.
You are all I long for,
All I worship and adore.

In other words, please be true.
In other words, I love you.

Recorded By:

Diana Krall
Astrud Gilberto
Kaye Ballard
Julie London
Tony Bennett

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station