"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Embraceable You

By George & Ira Gershwin
1928

Originally written for the unpublished operetta East Is West, this song sat on the shelf for two years, until the Gershwins inserted it into their smash hit 1930 Broadway production, Girl Crazy. The musical, and the song, helped make a star out of Ginger Rogers, who performed it in a number choreographed by Fred Astaire.

Lyrics:

Dozens of girls would storm up--
I had to lock my door.
Somehow i couldn't warm up
To one before.
What was it that controlled me?
What kept my love life lean?
My intuition told me
You'd come on the scene.
Lady, listen to the rhythm of my heartbeat,
And you'll get just what I mean.

Embrace me,
My sweet embraceable you.
Embrace me,
You irreplaceable you.

Just one look at you,
My heart grew tipsy in me.
You and you alone
Bring out the gypsy in me.

I love all
The many charms about you.
Above all,
I want my arms about you.

Don't be a naughty baby,
Come to papa, come to papa, do.
My sweet embraceable you.

Recorded By:

Billie Holiday
Ella Fitzgerald
Frank Sinatra
Andy Bey
Judy Garland

1 comment:

Buzz Stephens said...

Speaking of Judy Garland, this week over at Yahoo version of The Judy Garland Experience they are featuring not one, but two performances from Judy's September 1965 run at the Greek Theater. The first night is a head on concert where Judy triumph's magnificently! The second night is a more casual affair as Judy is joined onstage by Johnny Mathis, Martha Raye, and Mickey Rooney. Nobody is feeling any pain at this particular performance.There are also tons of other new files posted including stops Judy made at the Dick Haymes and Bing Crosby radio programs as well other Judy rarities.The non Judy files posted are A recording of Angela Lansbury's tour de force performance as Mildred in Of Human Bondage, Frank Sinatra in an ultra rare concert performance from Atlantic City, and highlights from an unreleased 1954 Doris Day soundtrack.
If you are not familiar with The Judy Garland Experience on Yahoo please come by and check it out. along with the constantly changing files, we also have one of the largest rare Judy phot collections on the web! Our membership includes fans of all levels, Garland family members and assosiates, authors of Garland biographies, people who have made films about Judy, other celebrities, historians, and more! The only one missing is you!Here is the link, I am sure once you visit you will never want to leave:http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience

Listen to The Jonathan Station