"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Sunday, August 3, 2008

You're Getting to Be a Habit with Me

By Harry Warren & Al Dubin
1932

Written for the classic Warner Bros. musical 42nd Street, the song was first sung by Bebe Daniels in the role of Dorothy Brock. Legend has it the title was inspired by a woman working on the Warner Bros. lot, who was asked why she was still involved with her boyfriend. The lyrics make heavy usage of the popular phraseology of drug addiction, an example of what could be gotten away with in pre-Hayes Code Hollywood.

Lyrics:

Every kiss, every hug,
Seems to act just like a drug--
You're getting to be a habit with me.
Let me stay in your arms,
I'm addicted to your charms--
You're getting to be a habit with me.

I used to think your love was something that I
Could take, or leave alone.
But now I couldn't do without my supply,
I need you for my own.

No, I can't break away,
I must have you every day--
As regularly as coffee or tea.
You've got me in your clutches,
And I can't get free--
You're getting to be a habit with me.

Recorded By:

Frank Sinatra
Dick Powell
Mel Torme
Diana Krall
Julie London

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station