"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Friday, August 15, 2008

I'll See You Again

By Noel Coward
1929

OK, so it's not an American song. I'll be making exceptions from time to time, especially for excellent tunes like this one--a bittersweet gem written by Coward for an operetta aptly titled Bitter Sweet. The musical was filmed twice, the more notable version being a 1940 Nelson Eddy-Jeanette McDonald MGM production which Coward allegedly found so awful it brought him to tears. The song is rare for having an intro that is even longer than its verses. Listen to the Maude Maggart recording below to hear the full lyrics.

Lyrics:

I'll see you again,
Whenever spring breaks through again.
Time may lay heavy between,
But what is mean,
Is past forgetting.

This sweet memory
Across the years will come to me.
Though my world may go awry,
In my heart will ever lie,
Just the echo of a sigh--
Goodbye.

I'll see you again,
Whenever spring breaks through again.
Time has lain heavy between,
But what is mean,
Can leave me never.

Your dear memory,
Throughout my life will come to me.
Though my world has gone awry,
Though the years my tears may dry,
I shall love you 'til I die--
Goodbye.

Recorded By:

Maude Maggart
Frank Sinatra
Glenn Miller
Mario Lanza
Bryan Ferry

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station