"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Sunday, July 27, 2008

On the Sunny Side of the Street

By Jimmy McHugh & Dorothy Fields
1930

A classic Depression-era pick-me-up, this song was written by Fields & McHugh (pictured) for Lew Leslie's International Revue at the Majestic Theatre (current home of Phantom of the Opera), where it was introduced by Harry Richman. Although a flop, the show produced this standard, as well as "Exactly Like You." For years, rumors have persisted that it was actually written by Fats Waller and sold for some fast money. It has also been alleged that its lyric is a reference to blacks who "pass" for white. The upbeat number has long been a favorite of jazz musicians.

Lyrics:

Grab your coat and get your hat,
Leave your worries on the doorstep.
Life can be so sweet
On the sunny side of the street.

Can’t you hear the pitter-pat?
And that happy tune is your step.
Life can be complete
On the sunny side of the street.

I used to walk in the shade,
With my blues on parade.
But I’m not afraid...
This rover’s crossed over.

If I never had a cent,
I’d be rich as Rockefeller,
Gold dust at my feet,
On the sunny side of the street.

Recorded By:

Ted Lewis
Tommy Dorsey
Jo Stafford
Dizzy Gillespie
Keely Smith

No comments:

Listen to The Jonathan Station